What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Zverev Finds His Clay Feet Again In Madrid

Brexiter

Former champion Alexander Zverev was impressive on Wednesday in a 6-3, 6-2 victory over 2014 finalist Kei Nishikori of Japan in 74 minutes at the Mutua Madrid Open.

“It was clinical,” said Zverev, who faced one break point en route to the 2018 Madrid title. “Kei is someone who has done well here, reaching the final and he has beaten me on clay before. I’m definitely happy with this performance. I have practised my serve since Munich and the altitude helps too. It was a good match from my side, I feel comfortable here. When I get hot, let’s see what happens.”

The fifth-seeded German, who has reached the Madrid quarter-finals or better in his three previous appearances (2017-19), will next face Daniel Evans, the recent Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters semi-finalist. Evans won their lone match at the 2016 US Open.

When Nishikori fired a backhand winner down the line off a Zverev second serve to break for a 3-2 lead in the first set, it looked like it was going to be a hard day at the office for the 2018 champion. Yet Zverev started playing on the front foot, broke back immediately and then again for a 5-3 advantage with a powerful forehand winner.

Zverev went on to clinch the 38-minute opener, having won 21 of 33 points under five shots, and then bludgeoned his way through the second set with breaks of serve at 1-1 and 4-2. Zverev completed his 12th match win of the season with a love hold, finishing with a backhand winner down the line.

"I was very pleased with my all-around performance today," said Zverev. "Yes, my serve was working out pretty well. I think my returns [and] my backhand was also working out pretty well. All around, it was a good match for me, because against someone like Kei, you need to win the match yourself. He's not going to give anything to you. I felt like I did that well today."

Former World No. 4 Nishikori, who is currently at No. 42 in the FedEx ATP Rankings, is now 9-9 on the season. The Japanese star won only 38 per cent of his second-service points against Zverev.

Evans got the better of his good friend, Australia's John Millman, 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-3 in two hours and 33 minutes. The Briton saved eight of nine break points.

Back