What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Tsitsipas Moves Into Roland Garros Third Round

Brexiter

Though forced to work hard for it, Stefanos Tsitsipas flew into the third round of Roland Garros following a 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 win over Pedro Martinez on Wednesday inside Court Suzanne-Lenglen.

“I really like playing in Paris,” Tsitsipas said on court. “I feel like the fans have embraced me and made me one of them. So, I’m really glad my tennis is there, my performance is there, and I’m able to deliver not just good tennis but also create a good atmosphere on this court.”

Tsitsipas, the fifth seed, has yet to lose a set after beating Jeremy Chardy in the first round in straight sets. He takes on John Isner in the third round after the American eased past Filip Krajinovic. Tsitsipas leads their ATP Head2Head series 3-2, most recently beating Isner in Acapulco this year. They have never faced off on clay.

Tsitsipas, the leader of the FedEx ATP Race to Turin, improved to a Tour-leading 34 wins on the season. The 22-year-old Greek is having quite the clay-court season with his first ATP Masters 1000 title in Monte-Carlo and a second title in Lyon just before heading into Roland Garros.

“I’ve had good weeks this year, I’ve had some good results, but, of course, I feel like there’s always better,” Tsitsipas said. “I don’t see my performance so far as super excellent and outstanding, but I’ve been consistent and that’s very important to maintain that [Race] lead that I’m looking for.”

Follow Live Scores At RolandGarros.com

Making his fifth Roland Garros appearance, Tsitsipas is looking to go even farther than last year when he reached the semi-finals (l. to Djokovic). The run matched his best Grand Slam performance, having reached the semi-finals of the Australian Open twice.

The second-round contest with Martinez was no walk in the park. Tsitsipas was broken early in the first and second sets, having to step up his game to take control each time. The third set was all Tsitsipas, though the Spaniard didn’t give up without a fight. Martinez broke Tsitsipas when he was serving for the match at 5-2. Tsitsipas responded with a backhand winner to break Martinez and close out the victory.

Martinez was playing in just his third Roland Garros, having reached the third round last year. The 24-year-old, currently ranked No. 103, has been as high as No. 82 in the FedEx ATP Rankings. His best runs this season have been Round of 16 appearances in Estoril and Parma.

In the same section of the draw, 12th seed Pablo Carreno Busta rallied past home favourite Enzo Couacaud 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. The Spaniard needed two hours and 28 minutes to reach the third round at Roland Garros for the fifth consecutive year.

Back