What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Errani & Vavassori win US Open mixed doubles title: 'Dream come true'

Brexiter

Italians Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori capped a dream run to the mixed doubles title Thursday at the US Open, where the third seeds overcame home hopes Taylor Townsend and Donald Young 7-6(0), 7-5 in the championship match.

Errani and Vavassori held their nerve in pressure moments, including a trade of breaks at the tail end of the opening set that forced a tie-break, during which they did not drop a point. When Townsend and Young served to stay in the match at 5-6 in the second set, Errani and Vavassori jumped to 0/40 lead and converted their third match point.

The 35-year-old Young, who reached a career-high No. 38 in the PIF ATP Rankings in 2012, was competing in his final professional tournament.

[ATP APP]
Errani and Vavassori survived a difficult path en route to becoming the third Italian duo to win a major title in mixed doubles and first since 1986. They began the tournament by fending off a match point against Robert Galloway and Shelby Rogers. In the quarter-finals, Errani and Vavassori downed Hsieh Su-Wei and Jan Zielinski, who were chasing their third major mixed doubles title of the year (Australian Open, Wimbledon).

"It's very special. It's a dream come true for me," Vavassori said. "Being with Sara, an amazing person, an amazing player. I always watch her during her career. It was amazing to play with her at Wimbledon and the Olympics this year... We did it. We won a Grand Slam! It's amazing."

Vavassori, No. 9 in the PIF ATP Doubles Rankings, partnered Simone Bolelli to reach the Australian Open and Roland Garros final this season. The Flushing Meadows mixed doubles title marks his first major crown.

Errani last month teamed Jasmine Paolini to claim the Paris Olympics gold medal in women’s doubles. A five-time major champion in women’s doubles, Errani was competing in her first mixed doubles major final.

“This is so special for me. I’ve never played mixed and to share this moment with Andrea is so special," Errani said. "I'm so happy. This is incredible for me. This year, it's amazing."

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Back