What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

The Last Time… With Matteo Berrettini

Brexiter

Matteo Berrettini has been a fixture in the Top 10 of the FedEx ATP Rankings since October 2019, and he is currently working his way back to form after suffering an abdominal strain earlier this year. The Italian is the second seed at this week's Serbia Open in Belgrade.

ATPTour.com caught up with the World No. 10 to learn the last time...

I missed a flight?
I have never missed a flight before, but I’ve been close and I’m grateful to be a good runner!

I lost something important?
Two or three weeks ago I left my phone in a taxi and I had to call different taxi companies to locate it. I gave them a description of the taxi and thankfully they found the driver and brought it back.

I paid for a court or bought my own tennis balls?
I think I was in Boca Raton a few weeks ago and I bought some tennis balls, around $5 per tube. I didn’t pay for the court.

Being famous or recognised helped?
With COVID and stuff it’s not easy to go anywhere. But there was one time, a long time ago, I was with a friend in a queue and the security guard recognised me, so [they] let us in quicker.

I strung my own tennis racquet?
I used to string my racquets all the time when I was in Rome growing up. It wasn’t cheap to string racquets, so I bought a stringing machine. I probably last strung a racquet a few weeks ago, when I was in Rome. It doesn’t take me long. I’m not professional, but I would definitely be confident to use the racquet in a match.

I cooked for myself or others?
I normally do when I am in Monaco with my girlfriend [WTA player Ajla Tomljanovic], cooking pasta with cheese. It’s amazing and next time we’re together, I’ll cook it for her.

I met my childhood idol?
It was a long time ago. I think the first time I hit with Roger [Federer], in 2015, was a big thing for me. I was so nervous and shaking. I was sweating so much before we started hitting. That's a great memory.

I last took a selfie photo?
I’m not a fan of a selfie, so I wouldn’t ask my idol for a photo. After the 2019 US Open, when I reached the semi-finals, this Roman actor, Paolo Adonis, who is really famous in Italy, came to watch my practice. I was about to ask him for a selfie, but he asked me first. That was cool.

Back