What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Sinner shakes off wrist scare to down Draper, reaches US Open final

Brexiter

Jannik Sinner reached the US Open final for the first time on Friday when he ended Jack Draper’s run in a hard-fought display on Arthur Ashe Stadium. The Italian dug deep in a physical battle to earn a a 7-5, 7-6(3), 6-2 triumph.

In a gruelling clash, Sinner played with relentless intensity to grind down Draper, who struggled physically from the closing stages of the second set. The top seed fired 42 winners and survived a scare of his own in the second set when he tweaked his left wrist after using it to cushion his fall when he stumbled behind the baseline.

However, the 23-year-old showed little sign of discomfort following the scare and marched to victory to become the first Italian man to reach the final in New York. Sinner will aim to improve his perfect 5-0 record in tour-level title matches in 2024 when he meets Taylor Fritz or Frances Tiafoe on Sunday.

"Me and Jack know each other very well. We are friends off the court. It was a very physical match as we see and I just tried to stay there mentally," Sinner said. "He is so tough to beat and it is a very special occasion. I am happy to be in the final here."

SINNER IS THROUGH TO THE US OPEN FINAL! 💫@janniksin battles past Draper in straight sets 7-5 7-6(3) 6-2. Up next: either Tiafoe or Fritz for the title! @usopen | #USOpen pic.twitter.com/UOE4kbP82a

— ATP Tour (@atptour) September 6, 2024

The No. 1 player in the PIF ATP Rankings has a standout record at majors this year, reaching at least the quarter-finals at all four. The 23-year-old clinched his first Grand Slam trophy at the Australian Open in January and is just the fifth man this century to record 22 or more major wins in a season. Novak Djokovic (8), Roger Federer (6), Rafael Nadal (6) and Andy Murray (2) achieved the feat.

"I am just happy to be in the final. Whoever it is, it is going to be a very tough challenge for me," Sinner said. "I am looking forward to it. Finals are very special days. Every Sunday you play shows you are doing an amazing job, so I will try to keep pushing and I will see what I can do."

[ATP APP]
With his three-hour, four-minute triumph against Draper, Sinner notched his 10th consecutive victory, having clinched his second ATP Masters 1000 crown of the season in Cincinnati. The Italian, who has also won titles in Rotterdam, Miami and Halle, became the first player to qualify for the Nitto ATP Finals in Turin last month.

After Sinner won a tight first set, the second set provided drama when both players struggled with physical issues. Briton Draper vomited on multiple occasions and was slumped in his chair at 4-5 after receiving a medical timeout, in which he consumed salts and liquids.

<a href='https://www.atptour.com/en/players/jannik-sinner/s0ag/overview'>Jannik Sinner</a>

Jannik Sinner grimaces after injuring his wrist. Photo: Getty Images

On the other side of the net, Sinner injured his left wrist when he took a tumble mid-point at 4-4, 15/30. The Italian tripped when retrieving a Draper forehand and used his left wrist to steady his fall. He then returned to his feet and thundered a forehand winner to win the point but received treatment on his left wrist at the changeover at 4-5. However, the scare didn’t seem to concern Sinner, who showed no sign of discomfort in the following games to clinch the tie-break.

As has often been the case in 2024, Sinner produced his best level when required. He broke Draper’s serve in the 11th game of the first set and then locked in during the second-set tie-break to take further control. The Italian, who has won 15 of his past 16 tie-breaks, moved freely from side to side and defended well off the backhand corner to track down Draper’s heavy lefty forehands. He neutralised the 22-year-old's power and broke Draper’s serve once again in the third set when he tracked down a volley to push a backhand pass down the line.

Draper was competing in his maiden major semi-final and was the first Briton to reach that stage since former World No. 1 Murray lifted the trophy at Flushing Meadows in 2012.

The 22-year-old did not drop a set en route to the semi-finals and will rise into the Top 20 in the PIF ATP Rankings for the first time on Monday. The 25th seed, who won his first tour-level crown in Stuttgart earlier this year, was impressive throughout his run in New York and pushed Sinner. He struck 29 winners but could not provide the physical strength to force the Italian to a fourth set.

<a href='https://www.atptour.com/en/players/jack-draper/d0co/overview'>Jack Draper</a>

Jack Draper feels the heat during his US Open semi-final. Photo: Getty Images

Sinner defeated Daniil Medvedev in the quarter-finals and improved to 54-5 on the season following his first Lexus ATP Head2Head win against long-time friend Draper, who grew up competing at junior events with the Italian.

With his run, Sinner has taken command in the battle for ATP Year-End No. 1 presented by PIF honours. The Italian is currently 2,185 points clear of second-placed Alexander Zverev in the PIF ATP LIve Race To Turin, which serves as a barometer for ATP Year-End No. 1 presented by PIF honours. Sinner will take a 2,885 point lead if he wins the title.

Did You Know?
Sinner is looking to become the first player since Guillermo Vilas in 1977 to win his first and second Grand Slam titles in the same season.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Back