What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Musetti Sweeps Past Lopez In Barcelona

Brexiter

Lorenzo Musetti struck 16 winners to power his way into the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell second round on Tuesday afternoon. The #NextGenATP Italian broke Feliciano Lopez’s serve three times and won the final 12 points of the match in a 6-4, 6-3 victory over 69 minutes.

"Me and my coach are really proud of what I did, translating practice to the tournament. That's what we are working for and I am really enjoying it and I'm really happy with this win," Musetti said. "Looking forward to playing Felix."

[WATCH LIVE 1]

Musetti, who recorded his first Top 10 win over Diego Schwartzman en route to the Abierto Mexicano Telcel presentado por HSBC semi-finals (l. to Tsitsipas), sets up a second-round clash against Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime, who is working with Rafael Nadal’s uncle and former coach, Toni Nadal.

"I was pretty curious about this match [against Lopez] before playing it, and with him you don't have to rush. You have to stay patient and play every point, especially when he's serving, because he can [hit] a lot of aces, a lot of first serves pretty good and he comes to the net," Musetti said. "You have to be really calm and not lose focus. That's what I did. Especially in the second set, the last three games I was playing really good."

Later in the afternoon, Frances Tiafoe overcame 17-year-old Spanish wild card Carlos Alcaraz, recovering from a 1-4 deficit in the second set en route to a 6-4, 7-6(2) over one hour and 43 minutes.

“He is a good kid, smart player and well coached by ‘Mosquito’ [Juan Carlos Ferrero], so it got a little complicated at the end of the second set and then it was a war form there,” said Tiafoe, who will next face fourth-seeded Argentine Diego Schwartzman in the second round. “I like clay. I am an athlete and can move. I had a little scare today. It’s physical, it’s fun. I like Diego and we’ve come close to playing before. We’re good friends.”

Alcaraz, who reached the AnyTech365 Andalucia Open semi-finals in Marbella (l. to Munar), is the youngest player in the Top 200 of the FedEx ATP Rankings.

Elsewhere, Australia’s Jordan Thompson saved two match points at 4-5 in the deciding set of a 7-6(5), 4-6, 7-6(3) victory over former World No. 7 Richard Gasquet of France in three hours and 17 minutes. Thompson now plays sixth-seeded Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta.

Back