What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Fritz on reaching US Open final: 'It is a lifelong dream come true'

Brexiter

Delight, pride, relief. All emotions which were evident on Taylor Fritz’s face Friday night at the US Open after he reached his first major final. Following his epic five-set win against countryman Frances Tiafoe, the American opened up on the joy he was feeling following the biggest victory of his career.

“It hit me when he [Eubanks] said the thing about how I'm in the finals and the crowd was cheering,” Fritz said in his post-match press conference. “It's just kind of like how I am. I'm more of an emotional person when I'm happy. When I'm really happy I cry at happy endings of movies and not at sad stuff. That's kind of just how I am.

“It's just joy, the crowd cheering and kind of that realisation, like ‘Wow, I'm in the finals of the US Open. It's such a lifelong dream come true. Something I've worked my whole life for to be in this situation. I think just kind of like realising that got me a little bit choked up.”

Fritz is now just one win away from ending the United States’ 21-year wait for a male major singles champion. The last man to do so was Andy Roddick at Flushing Meadows in 2003.

Fritz is excited about the current state of American tennis, with Friday’s opponent Tiafoe as well as Tommy Paul, Sebastian Korda, Ben Shelton all inside the Top 17 in the PIF ATP Live Rankings.

“I think it gives hope and shows that we're knocking on the door of winning a Slam, and we have this generation, this group of guys where there's four or five of us that are actually at this level,” Fritz said.

“I mean, it shows that we're all moving in the right direction. I think that whenever one of us does something, the others follow, and the others get belief from it. I think this is just the start for all of us.”

[ATP APP]
Fritz battled hard against Tiafoe and was staring defeat in the face when he trailed 4-6, 7-5, 4-6 in front of an electric crowd on Arthur Ashe Stadium. However, the 12th seed dug deep and turned the match around.

Fritz, who is up five spots to No. 7 in the PIF ATP Live Rankings, is pleased with the resilience he showed.

“I think one thing that's never been in question is just like my heart and how I'm always going to compete no matter what,” said Fritz, who leads Tiafoe 7-1 in the pair’s Lexus ATP Head2Head series.

“What I just kept telling myself was just to keep fighting and to keep working, and if I don't give it everything I have and just lock in as much as I possibly can, I'm going to regret it forever… I had to stay with him in some of those really long, crazy rallies, because I wanted to show him that I wasn't going to go away, that I was feeling fit and I was going to keep running for everything and fighting for every point.”

On Sunday, Fritz will be the first American man to compete in a major final since Roddick at Wimbledon in 2009. World No. 1 Jannik Sinner stands between Fritz and glory, but the 26-year-old is feeling confident about his chances.

“I've always enjoyed playing him. To be honest, I don't think that I'm going to be put in a more stressful situation than I was today than playing in a final. I think today was much more stressful for me than playing the final. I just feel good,” Fritz said. “I have a feeling I'm going to come out and play really well and win. When I play good tennis, I think that level is good enough to win.”

Sinner and Fritz are tied at 1-1 in their Lexus ATP Head2Head series. The final will take place on Arthur Ashe Stadium on Sunday from 2 p.m. EDT/ 8 p.m. CET.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Back