What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Draper: ‘I’m breaking barriers of what I think is possible’

Brexiter

Jack Draper lost a hard-fought battle to Jannik Sinner in the semi-finals of the US Open on Friday. But he was happy with his run in New York and had positive takeaways from his first semi-final at a Grand Slam tournament, despite the 7-5, 7-6(3), 6-2.

“When I came here last year I was 120 in the world, barely played the whole season. I think I'll be leaving here this week Top 20,” he said. “I'm breaking new barriers down the whole time of what I think is possible.”

The 22-year-old Brit had not dropped a set before the semi-finals. He became the first man since Daniil Medvedev in 2020 to do so. Despite battling the pressure and New York’s muggy conditions, he left everything on the court, even as he struggled physically against the World No. 1.

“I think it was obviously a very physical match. Obviously, that's why Jannik is the No. 1 player in the world because when you play the top players, the intensity is different… it's a step up,” he shared.

“I think obviously it's a big occasion for me. I definitely felt more excited today, a few more nerves around.”

[ATP APP]

Visibly hampered by the conditions on Arthur Ashe, he vomited thrice during the match and received a medical timeout in the second set. The Brit acknowledged that the pressure contributed to his physical discomfort, but that the thought of tapping out of the match didn’t enter his mind.

“No, no, no, I'm not going to retire in the semis of a Grand Slam,” he said. “I know the last set, it probably looked liked from courtside or on TV that it was not a great look. But at the end of the day, I always try and give my best

“I'm definitely someone who is, I think, quite an anxious human being. I think when you add all that together sometimes I do feel a bit nausea on court, and I do feel a little bit sick when it gets tough.

“I didn't have any problems before the match, but it obviously just built up.”

After the match, Draper was all praise for his good friend Sinner, who will play for his second Grand Slam title of the season against American No. 20 Frances Tiafoe or No. 12 Taylor Fritz. The 22-year-old had won their only previous meeting at the cinch Championships in 2021.

“Jannik's got huge experience already. The reason why he's No. 1 in the world (and) barely losing matches is because he's so consistent. His intensity, his ball speed, he has barely got any weaknesses, and he's just able to be there point by point and raise his level when he needs to.

“Mentally, physically, emotionally, everything's constantly improving, and he's rock solid in all areas. He's tough to beat.”

After an inspiring run to the semi-finals, Draper has risen to a career-high No. 20 in the PIF ATP Rankings. He became the first Brit to reach the semi-finals of the US Open since Andy Murray clinched the title in 2012.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Back