What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Fritz To Play Djokovic After Evans Win In Rome

Brexiter

Taylor Fritz bounced back from a slow start on Monday at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia to break a three-match losing streak.

The American won five straight games from a 1-3 deficit in the first set en route to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Briton Daniel Evans, the recent Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters semi-finalist.

[WATCH LIVE 1]

“I was really frustrated to give away the early break,” said Fritz. “He played two pretty good points, then I missed two forehands. I thought I was hitting the ball really well right from the beginning. I just told myself not to get too upset about it, as I was playing well. Dan has been playing well lately, beating Novak in Monte-Carlo, so it’s great to get a strong win. I am going to try my best [against Djokovic].”

The 23-year-old Fritz, who reached the last four at the Sardegna Open in Cagliari (l. to Sonego), is now 11-9 on the season and will play World No. 1 Novak Djokovic, the five-time Rome champion, in the second round.

“We played twice on clay in 2018, in Monte-Carlo and Madrid,” said Fritz, looking ahead to the Djokovic match. “I got beaten pretty bad those two times. I feel better prepared to play him now, after the match in Australia.”

Djokovic beat Fritz 7-6(1), 6-4, 3-6, 4-6, 6-2 in the Australian Open third round in February.

Back