What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Cilic Claws Past 17-Year-Old Alcaraz In Estoril

Brexiter

Marin Cilic got all he could handle from 17-year-old Carlos Alcaraz on Tuesday, but the former World No. 3 clawed past the #NextGenATP Spaniard 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 to reach the second round of the Millennium Estoril Open.

"I'm extremely happy to be here in Portugal, in Estoril for the first time," Cilic said in his on-court interview. "It was a very difficult match. Carlos is a great young talent... Definitely he's got an unbelievable future ahead of him."

Alcaraz showed his fighting spirit by rallying from a break down twice in the third set, pushing the 2014 US Open champion to the limit. But the teen was unable to edge ahead of the Croatian, who broke for a third time in the decider to clinch his two-hour, 14-minute victory when Alcaraz missed a backhand long.

"I was extremely happy to win after dropping the second set. He played really well," Cilic said. "I was a break up in the third set and he broke back. In the end it was just a couple points that made the difference in the match."

Cilic will now play former Mississippi State University standout Nuno Borges for a spot in the quarter-finals. Borges earned his first ATP Tour win on Monday against Jordan Thompson.

"At this point for me, it's important that I focus on myself just to try to play my good game," Cilic said. "Obviously I'll try to play some tactics, what I can during the match. But definitely it will be important for me to serve good, to still play my own game."

[WATCH LIVE 1]

In other action, Richard Gasquet battled hard to complete a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Juan Ignacio Londero of Argentina in one hour and 49 minutes. The 2015 champion has played just four tournaments this year due to a leg injury. Gasquet will next play second-seeded Chilean Cristian Garin.

Another former Estoril champion, home hero Joao Sousa, was unable to advance. Cameron Norrie ousted the 2018 titlist 6-1, 6-3 to set a clash against Spanish qualifier Pedro Martinez, who eased past fifth seed Alexander Bublik 6-3, 6-0. Another Spaniard who advanced was seventh seed Albert Ramos-Vinolas, who beat countryman Fernando Verdasco 6-3, 6-3.

Italy’s Marco Cecchinato, the 2018 Roland Garros semi-finalist, required 77 minutes to overcome Lloyd Harris of South Africa 6-3, 6-4 and now faces third-seeded Frenchman Ugo Humbert. In an all-French battle, Pierre-Hugues Herbert eliminated former Top 10 star Gilles Simon 7-5, 6-3.

Back