What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Berrettini: 'It's Nice For Tennis It's Not All Big 3'

Brexiter

Matteo Berrettini, who is competing this week at the Serbia Open, says that it’s good that new names are beginning to lift ATP Masters 1000 titles.

Hubert Hurkacz recently clinched the Miami Open presented by Itau crown and Stefanos Tsitsipas did not drop a set en route to capturing the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters trophy on Sunday.

"I think that it's a nice thing for tennis that it's not all the Big 3," said Berrettini in Belgrade. "Even though the Slams are still a little bit [trickier to win]. But I think something's going to change even in the Slams.

"I think eventually it's going to happen. Not just because of the age [of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic], but because of experience, because these young guys are really good. It's something that helps me to get better too."

[WATCH LIVE 1]

The World No. 10 is hoping to return to top form and challenge the Big 3, Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev, Alexander Zverev and others for titles once more.

“I know the work that I have to do, to get to the same level as these guys,” said Berrettini. “They proved already that they can play at a really high level and now there are more players, they are more experienced."

Berrettini returned to the ATP Tour last week, after overcoming an abdominal strain that he picked up at the Australian Open in February, and is looking forward to competing in Belgrade.

“I am really happy to be here because I am healthy,” said Berrettini. “I played in Monte-Carlo. I have never been to Belgrade or Serbia and it looks like a great environment. I am excited to start the tournament. In a bubble, it’s not easy to get access to good facilities, but they have gone a great job. The gym is warm for us to work out in, the player restaurant and hotel is set for players.

“I have been injured, so it’s never easy when you start again, but I came here looking for the best results I can. The entry level is good and I hope to do well.”

Back