What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Preview: Fritz, Tiafoe’s all-American SF, can Draper upset Sinner at US Open?

Brexiter

No American has reached the men’s singles final at the US Open since 2006. On Friday, Taylor Fritz or Frances Tiafoe will end that drought in New York.

The two players will step out onto Arthur Ashe Stadium in front of their home fans for an intriguing semi-final clash at the hard-court major. As well as a matchup between Fritz’s serve-dominated game and Tiafoe’s ability to redirect an opponent’s power to his advantage, it will also be a duel between two close friends that have played a major role in the resurgence of American men’s tennis in recent years.

“Taylor and I had a conversation about being No. 1, No. 2 Americans for a very long time,” said Tiafoe ahead of the first all-American Grand Slam semi-final since Andre Agassi defeated Robby Ginepri in 2005. “I remember we were sitting on a plane some years ago, and he's a pretty to-himself kind of dude, and he's, like, ‘Bro, I think me and you are going to be one, two Americans and leading the way.”

Competing at the US Open as the leading American in the PIF ATP Rankings, Fritz has expertly handled the pressure so far this fortnight as he bids to become the first home men’s singles champion since Andy Roddick in 2003. The 26-year-old has dropped just two sets across his five matches so far, eliminating Matteo Berrettini, Casper Ruud and Alexander Zverev in the process.

After losing his first four major quarter-finals, the way Fritz held his nerve to overcome Zverev in four sets to reach his maiden semi-final was particularly impressive. However, the eight-time ATP Tour champion has no intention of resting on his laurels.

“The emotional level is down,” said Fritz. “It's cool I'm in the semis, but I very much have the mindset of ‘The job's not done’, and I keep taking it one match at a time like I've been all tournament and focus on the next match ahead of me."

Semi Final No.1⃣ @usopen 🎾@Taylor_Fritz97 🆚 @FTiafoe

Check out Fritz's #Insights card from the past 52 weeks on the @atptour 👇

How will Tiafoe match up against him in this all-American showdown❓#TennisInsights | @atptour pic.twitter.com/o7bhkVICeL

— Tennis Insights (@tennis_insights) September 5, 2024

Fritz enters the clash with history on his side. The 12th seed holds a 6-1 Lexus ATP Head2Head record against Tiafoe, a tally which includes victory in the pair’s only Grand Slam meeting at the 2022 Australian Open. Yet Tiafoe, who reached his maiden ATP Masters 1000 final in Cincinnati earlier this month, believes past encounters will have little bearing on Friday’s clash in New York.

“It's different on Ashe, man,” said Tiafoe, who also reached the US Open semi-finals in 2022. “It's different. Obviously you have to learn from those [defeats]. I mean, couple of those I thought I actually should have won. He's tough, man. He's a tough player. He plays great from both sides, has a great serve, he's moving much better now. It's going to be tough.”

As well as becoming the first American men’s singles finalist since Roddick in 2006, whoever triumphs in Friday’s semi-final will also significantly boost their hopes of reaching the Nitto ATP Finals. Currently seventh in the PIF ATP Live Race To Turin, Fritz would rise to fourth by reaching the championship match. Tiafoe, who has never qualified for the prestigious season finale, will rise from 14th to 10th in the Live Race if he can defeat Fritz.

[ATP APP]
Sinner Eyes Revenge Against Red-hot Draper
After years beset with injury struggles, has Jack Draper’s big-stage moment finally arrived?

The Briton has stormed to his maiden major semi-final without dropping a set this fortnight at the US Open, where World No. 1 Jannik Sinner stands in his way in the last four. For the 22-year-old Draper, a junior rival and friend of Sinner’s, his breakout major run in New York has come as a reward for years of perseverance.

“I've had times when I've maybe thought to stop or, ‘Am I cut out for this sport? Am I really good enough?’ And all this sort of stuff,” reflected Draper, who won his maiden ATP Tour title in June in Stuttgart, after easing past Alex de Minaur in straight sets in the quarter-finals. “I kept on believing in myself, kept on working.

“Those are hard moments. This is not a hard moment compared to that. This is a privilege, and this is an honour to be in this position. This is why I work so hard, so I've got to just keep it going in my stride. I'm not afraid of being in these positions.”

Yet to drop a set. ❄️@jackdraper0 downs de Minaur 6-3 7-5 6-2 to advance into the #USOpen semi-finals!@usopen pic.twitter.com/02J7v9bMKG

— ATP Tour (@atptour) September 4, 2024

So can Draper maintain his impressive form to upset the World No. 1 and become the first British men’s singles US Open finalist since Andy Murray lifted the trophy in 2012? The lefty, who has already guaranteed he will crack the Top 20 of the PIF ATP Rankings next Monday with his New York run, triumphed in his only previous Lexus ATP Head2Head meeting with Sinner at the Queen’s Club in 2021.

Even prior to that meeting on the London grass, Sinner was familiar with Draper’s game. The Italian recalls seeing the Briton compete as a junior, and he knows he may have to adapt to the unique challenge that his opponent’s big-serving, heavy-hitting lefty game poses.

“I don't remember playing against him… But I do remember seeing him from outside,” said Sinner of Draper after defeating Daniil Medvedev in the quarter-finals. “Obviously lefty, it's also tough to see, as there are fewer lefties than righties. You know, his ball striking was always very, very good.

“It's going to be a tough match. He hasn't lost one set yet. He's playing great. He's serving great. I saw also the match today, he's hitting very, very strong. So it's going to be tough match but I'm looking forward to it and hopefully it's going to be a good match.”

By beating Medvedev in New York, Sinner completed the set of reaching the semi-finals at all four Grand Slam tournaments. The Australian Open champion clearly holds the advantage over his last-four opponent Draper in terms of experience at the tail end of Grand Slams, but he will be wary of the Briton’s weapons in what will be one of the most high-powered matchups of the Grand Slam season.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Back